Monday 28 August 2017

THROUGH MY LENS - Costa Rica

I am slowly getting my 2016 Costa Rica photographs and videos edited  and to start us off I am showing you the National bird of Costa Rica.  The clay-coloured thrush (Turdus grayi), known locally as the yigüirro, was also once known as the clay-coloured robin, but scientists later changed its family from robin to thrush. The species is one of Costa Rica’s most common birds and it is found throughout almost every region. The clay-coloured thrush was designated Costa Rica’s national bird in January 1977.  


This is my breakfast table and although it is difficult for you to see, there were a bird bath and feeding station under that tree and it was delightful to watch the birds as i eat.  There is a VIDEO of it at the end of this post.


Considering there were so many colourful birds in Costa Rica I was surprised the nation picked this bird but i suppose it was picked because it covered the whole country.



 
Below is part of the enormous gardens were there were probably about 100 different species of birds there and it was quite a challenge for me to to ID them all.  


If the video does not appear below,CLICK HERE.



I am linking to THROUGH MY LENS.
Lots more to follow.

Thanks you for visiting and also for your comments.

10 comments:

  1. I like the idea of picking a ubiquitous bird to be the national bird. So much more inclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the plainest bird I have ever seen. But he is still cute, alert, and cheerful. I am glad to see some of the more colorless birds getting recognition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Bird pics. Loved the post.
    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, it is a pretty bird. Lovely photos and a great video! Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful bird Margaret, it resembles our Blackbird I'm thinking.
    Have a good week, Gordon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed the low-contrast look of these VERY much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The breakfast setting looks wonderful.I might almost forget to eat, with so much beauty around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect place to have your breakfast! Beautiful gardens, too. Love the thrush!

    ReplyDelete